The 6th Annual TELUS VGBA Challenge tournament will be held on January 23 – 25, 2012.
The TELUS Vancouver Girls’ Basketball Challenge tournament takes place every year in January. It includes the top 6 senior girls and top 8 junior girls basketball programs in Vancouver – both public schools (VSSAA) and independent schools (LMISSAA).
Since only a few players will continue to play sports at the post-secondary school level, this tournament is a highlight of the basketball careers for many female athletes from Vancouver. And for those student athletes moving on to post secondary school, this event provides many opportunities for scholarships.
The following schools have been invited this year (Jan 2013):
- Britannia Secondary School – Jr & Sr
- Crofton House School – Jr
- Killarney Secondary School – Jr
- Magee Secondary School – Jr & Sr
- Notre Dame Regional School – Jr & Sr
- Prince of Wales Secondary School – Jr
- St. Patrick’s Regional School – Jr & Sr
- Winston Churchill Secondary – Sr
- York House School – Jr & Sr
Since the tournament’s inception in 2008, the VGBA has been committed to recognizing individual student athletes playing in the Vancouver Girls’ Basketball Challenge who are true citizens of our community. A number of scholarship bursaries are being awarded every year from TELUS to graduating student-athletes who are active leaders in school and community programs, and who have shown proof of academic and athletic accomplishments, and post-secondary aspirations.
TELUS bursary/scholarships may be used at any recognized post-secondary institution. And through a collaboration between VGBA and Langara College, there will be additional scholarship opportunities for participants in the tournament who choose to attend Langara.
Download the scholarship application package (PDF).
Presentations and Awards
Several prominent members of the basketball community and its supporters will take part in the closing ceremony. The following awards will be presented on the final day of the tournament:
- Medals/trophy to winning and second place teams
- Trophy for tournament’s Most Valuable Player
- Trophy for tournament’s Best Defensive Player
- Awarding of Bursaries to at least 6 recipients
- Tournament All-Stars (10 players)
- Award to the winner of 3-pt. shooting competition
3-Pt. Shooting Contest
This competition is open to any Vancouver female high school player. It takes place at Langara College on Friday, Jan 25 at 6:00 PM.
To register, email Mitra at email@example.com by January 18th.